Sunday, 24 August 2003

love's lofty goals

I will greet this day with love in my heart.

I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit.
I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.
I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul.
I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.

I will love the ambitious for they can inspire me! I will love the failures for they can teach me.
I will love the kings for they are but human; I will love the meek for they are divine.
I will love the rich for they are yet lonely; I will love the poor for they are so many.
I will love the young for the faith they hold; I will love the old for the wisdom they share;
I will love the beautiful for their eyes of sadness; I will love the ugly for their souls of peace
.

(from Og Mandino)

Jesus defined success when he was asked which is the greatest commandment. Jesus said

“Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
- Matt 22:37-39, Mark 12:30, Luke 10:27-28.

The first four of the "10 Commandments" instruct us to love God while the last six instruct us to love people.

in this dog-eat-dog world that we live in today, are these lofty aims or essential guiding principles for our lives?

You decide..

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

No comments: