Friday, 5 September 2003

photography directions

i've been incredibly tempted to upgrade my existing digital camera to either the Canon Powershot G5, the Olympus C5050 or the Nikon Coolpix 5400.. after all, have you heard of anyone still using a 1.3mpx dinosaur?? :O not that i'm rolling in cash or that my digital camera is really that bad (most of the pics on my blog and fotolog were in fact taken with this cam), but i kinda wonder if a good digital cam can perhaps push my photography to a "higher level"..

but the following reasons hold me back:

1. which one??

- the three models compared side by side
- G5 or C5050? G5 is the latest model by Canon, which seems to be the most popular digital camera makers at the moment, while C5050 came out some time ago.. but based on this review, it seems C5050 is sharper..
- only C5050 has underwater casing (for about S$300 - i've seen the quality.. not bad..) - could allow me a quick taste of underwater photography..
- but if i want the funky swivel lcd screen, then must be either the G5 or Coolpix 5400.. once again, a hard choice..
- and there's this new Canon EOS 300D Digital Camera at 6.3mpx!! how much is it?? --> update: rumour has it that it will only cost $1600! but of course i don't have any Canon lenses to start off with.. durrhh..
- or should i wait (until the cows come home) for Minolta to launch a digital SLR so i can use my existing lenses??

2. what about the slr?

- my current slr is really rather decent and has served me incredibly well all these years. i still lack some fundamental lenses (eyeing a 100-400mm tele lens now) and maybe money should be spent on this camera first.. perhaps i should just continue to build up my basic slr equipment since this is the best camera i have and the one giving me my best pictures..
- i want to buy a dedicated flash too..
- and maybe other stuff..
- these things are not cheap.. and, once again, i don't roll in cash..

3. what about the lca?

- my lomo cam is already offering me all the possibilities for "artistic expression" and the so-called "random shooting" that i need to do every now and then.. besides, i guess my existing digital cam can do that too..

4. maybe spend on something else.. more meaningful??

- yes, i do think i already have enough different types of cameras to keep me very occupied, including my two Cheezels pinhole cameras..:p .. besides, i may get confused which camera to bring out or on a holiday.. haha.. oh well, it has happened before.. yes, maybe something else might come up soon that is more worth spending the money on..

the more i think about it, the more i think i shouldn't buy any high-end digital camera for now.. yes, challenge the digital trend and go film!! wahaha...

great! never knew i could use a blog entry to sort out my thoughts.. wow... cool... :) i suddenly feel strangely richer for having saved that $1000+ dollars.. for now at least...

desires... oh well, it's not wrong to have them, right?? :p

"One must not lose desires. They are mighty stimulants to creativeness, to love, and to long life."
- Alexander A. Bogomoletz

No comments: