Sunday, 7 September 2003

digital foto fad

blogger was down for a large part of today.. and when it was finally up, i couldn't figure out what had happened .. very mysterious indeed..

Was at Comex @ Suntec yesterday and was amazed at the mad squeeze for the latest range of digital cameras, especially around the Canon, Olympus, Nikon and Fuji booths. Every merchant was in the price-slashing-free-gifts-game and the public was in a tizzy.

While I was there to ogle at them as well (the digital cameras, not the people), I realised that many people who were there did not appear to know anything at all about photography, or even digital cameras, judging from the kind of questions they asked. Some even sounded like they were trying to get a Photography 101 Course from the sales staff on duty! :O I’m sure it’s nice to imagine yourself getting into a new hobby and all that, but something tells me this, for most people, is going to be just another fad, like the skate scooter fad we saw just a year or more ago..

Remember the skate scooters? They were everywhere at one point (rolling into the path of unsuspecting pedestrians) and now they are a rarity to see on the streets .. a few friends of mine bought their fancy digital cameras (3.2mpx or more) some time ago and the last I heard, they “hardly ever use it” and “definitely don’t bring it out”.. If the whole point of digital is to “save on film” and “be able to take and take” without restraint, what’s the point of leaving it at home? Being a victim of consumerism myself, I fully understand the temptations of getting into the latest “in thing” – guess that’s what drives our economy anyway..

Anyhow, my baby pic is up at the babypicture fotolog - you can upload your pic there too!

and this lovely, crumpled pic I just found, taken more than two dozen years ago, of my daddy holding me proves (to me at least) that there is still unbeatable charm in prints vs digital.. :)

me, daddy, bro & sis

No comments: