Monday, 15 September 2003

lifestyle changes

my recent bout of health misfortunes have made me seriously rethink my lifestyle... from the moment i wake, to how i go through my day, to what i eat, to how i sleep at night..

all these years, i've always thought myself fit and healthy, able to run, swim, walk and cycle for miles if i wanted to. Despite my less-than-totally-healthy living habits (which i have been trying to work on every year as part of my new year's resolutions, from as far back as i can remember..) - e.g. late nights, lack of fluids, overexercising on the weekends and slopping out on weekdays, health was never an issue, albeit the occassional bout of flu or cough..

yet, things appear to have changed..

pardon my dramatic and fatalistic tone, but somehow, these things have been sitting on my mind for the past few days like heavy pieces of lead, burdensome and distressing... maybe 2003 is indeed the year of changes..

at my (not so tender but rather) young age, i am told by my chinese doctor that i can possibly get rheumatism (cos of my ankle injury).. a condition which i've always associated with ah pehs and ah pors, rubbing odorous axe brand medicated oil on their aching joints when it rains.. moreover, my injured ankle ligament will probably put me out of running for another couple of months at least, which means that i will have to switch to another activity to keep myself physically fit. Although it is still too early to think about it now, it seems that even after i have "healed", i may have to be really careful and not overexert it, ever. facing the possibility that i may never be able to try running a marathon (since i cannot imagine not exerting any part of my body in a race like this).. makes the future take on some bleakness which i don't really know how to express..

then i encounter this worrisome eye infection that took me by complete surprise, threatening my lifelong interest in and dedication to photography - especially since the eye that was infected is the only one i've been using to take pictures all this while.. strangely, for some reason, i'm someone who's able to wink with only one of my eyes.. i haven't met anyone else like me.. some defect?? :O

maybe i should turn vegetarian. or take up pilates. or give up eating red meats. or coffee.

life definitely needs changes.

No comments: