Wednesday, 3 September 2003

life-changing experiences?

i woke up this morning and scurried to the mirror. Something i've been doing every morning, without fail, for well over the past two weeks since my eye problem started.

i'll wake up, my left eye still sticky from the slab of eyelotion applied onto it the night before, dash towards the full-length mirror that hangs on the wall next to my postcard-covered wardrobe, without my glasses and all, and i will stare. Stare deep into my left eye - fist clenched, hopes high - i'll look at the white of my eye to see how much more or less red it has become, whether more or less blood vessels have started growing towards my eyeball. i'll stare at the white spot on my pupil that has become the source of my worries and fear to see if it has grown larger or smaller. everything else for me that morning will pause as i examine what has happened over the course of the night. and everyday, my eye has looked the same...

but today, this morning, it looked different!

the red has actually gone down! visibly! i am on the road to recovery. i am i am i am! :,)

for the longest time (at least that's how it feels), i have thought about what i would do once i am better and now everything seems possible again.. i am filled with renewed hope and vigour. with unaching eyes i look back at all the things i've learnt and the people i have spoken to these dozen days - the kindness i have received, the unexpected prayers from dear ones, not-so kind remarks from some others.

in some ways, this incident has been life-changing... and for that i am grateful.. i have learnt much and life has been kind to me..

yes, i guess in some ways, i am being rather self-centered now... war, terrorism, cpf cuts and global poverty - do i not care about them?... but just let me revel in the wonders of my recovery for a moment, no?

No comments: