Friday, 11 January 2002

Thought today was going to be a relatively uneventful day until harrowing (ok, I exaggerate) experience just now. Left FM ($$ mgmt) lecture wk 2 promptly at 10pm and went back to car only to find that the battery has gone completely flat!! :O Turned out that I had forgotten to turn off the car headlights!!! Thought these sort of careless things only happen to other people, especially since I had a lot of sleep last night! :(

Anyhow, had to wait for AA guy to come and fix it – Poor guy came after 30mins and was quite appalled by what he saw. The battery had almost no water in it!! Huh? What’s battery water?, I asked innocently (for once sounding like a bimbo.. sheesh… :p also feeling a little sorry for not paying attention to what my dear friend Lynn used to tell me about car maintenance - I think she did mention once something on battery water..) anyhow, nice guy jumpstarted my car and told me to drive to nearest petrol kiosk to buy battery water to top it up. I drove carefully, making sure I didn't stall my car along the way (quite stressful) and went to my favourite Shell station along Upper Bukit Timah Rd. Genial Mr Ramli there was equally appalled at what he saw :p Only 3 bottles (no less) of battery water was sufficient to top up the parched battery (Mr Ramli said he had personally never experienced a situation as bad.. ever.. :p).. on top of that, the radiator water was also almost empty, the water for the windshield wiper was running low, and I could not seem to answer some questions he had, such as if the engine oil is enough etc.. :( Oh dear.. what an embarrassment for a car owner and someone who has been driving for more than 8 years!! Still have to wait till tomorrow to find out if my battery needs to be changed… if not will have to get AA to come again tomorrow.. according to Mr Ramli, I shouldn’t try jumpstarting it myself ‘cos if I get the polarity of the wires wrong, the car may EXPLODE!! :O

No comments: