Thursday, 29 August 2002

car died again this morning..barely two weeks after i serviced it and barely a week since i mentioned knowing nothing about maintaining a car... barely a whimper as i cranked up the ignition...

AA guy came just now to tell me battery is "gone" (but not before a "knight in shiny armour" came by helpfully at the carpark and asked if he could (a) help to drive me to a car workshop "at balestier that is still open at this time", or (b) try to help jumpstart the car, or (c) help me to jumpstart car the next morning or (d) find out what's wrong for me.... anyhow, i declined gently with "err.. no need lah.. l call AA already..." which of course he said "Actually, you don't need to call AA".. err... so he could help me??? durrhh... oh well, anyway, "AA uncle" was less sleazy and sold me a new car battery (but not before "Helpful Guy" exclaimed loudly "wah, so expensive. i can get you a cheaper one"), helped me fix it up and went through a quick Car Maintenance 101 with me on what to look out for and how to take care of the car..

Checking what's wrong Testing the bad battery My new battery

it struck me how much owning a car has cost me so far.... and how much more it will cost me over my lifetime.. is it really worth it? i know that many people who drive (or should i say everyone??) says it is impossible to live without a car once you have owned one..... i'm sure i'll get used to it.. once i see the benefits of having more money in my bank .... to travel or something...... hee hee.... :)

No comments: