Wednesday, 31 July 2002

pardon me if you don't like soya-based products.. but this is the last of the lot…

To-Fu Oyako (C) & Egg To-Fu (W) .. :D… see the whole lot of them here

got a hardcover copy of the rather excellent The Private Life of Plants (based on the 1995 BBC series by Sir David Attenborough) from a budget bookstore today for a little over $10! this comprehensive book covers a whole array of topics on “plant behaviour” from “Travelling” to “The Social Struggle” to Surviving, Flowering and more… I guess what struck me most as I flipped the pages of the book, looking at the amazing pictures of plant spectacle, was the realization that I never really thought of my pots of cacti as being really “alive” – I mean, I know they are alive but they really don’t move much (especially not in front of me) and don’t make a fuss (even when they are ill-treated), so they usually end up neglected on my window sill, lying on the precarious edge between wilting and living… I realised why my plants look the same week after week - when I finally notice them and find time to water them - even though they should really have grown, at least a little bit…. my conclusion is that my plants are emotionally neglected and their growth has thus been stunted.. .

I feel quite responsible for these poor plants.. maybe I should find time to talk to them….?

No comments: