the vent must NEVER be shut..
the definition from dictionary.com
1. A means of escape or release from confinement; an outlet: give vent to one's anger.
2. An opening permitting the escape of fumes, a liquid, a gas, or steam.
3. The small hole at the breech of a gun through which the charge is ignited.
4. Zoology. The excretory opening of the digestive tract in animals such as birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish.
5. Geology. 1. The opening of a volcano in the earth's crust; 2. An opening on the ocean floor that emits hot water and dissolved minerals.
v. vent·ed, vent·ing, vents
1. To express (one's thoughts or feelings, for example), especially forcefully.
2. To release or discharge (steam, for example) through an opening.
3. To provide with a vent.
1. To vent one's feelings or opinions.
2. To be released or discharged through an opening.
3. To rise to the surface of water to breathe. Used of a marine mammal.
I know a bad move when i see one..
and TODAY removing the column of well-respected local blogger mrbrown is certainly one such move (see article)
every system needs a vent.. every government needs to offer or to create real opportunity where people can breathe, can speak out loud, can be allowed to "let out air" so they don't 'POP' (or as some like to say - "explode")..
mrbrown was one such outlet for many disgruntled individuals in Singapore - from taxi drivers, office workers, students, aunties and just about everyone - who mumble unhappily under their breaths (or over kopi in the kopitiam or lattes in the cafes) whenever they hear or read of some new policy or the revision of some existing ones, which they cannot understand or accept...
he raised and explained serious issues, and always managed to give these issues no doubt a satirical, but also a lighthearted touch so life could go on.. so everyone would feel like they were being heard and someone out there 'understood' them and even spoke out loud for them...
life felt bearable.. even if things almost never 'improve' quite as quickly as they wanted them to...
but now THEY've closed the vent..