Thursday, 24 April 2003

Start with Yourself

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits,
I dreamed of changing the world.

As I grew older and wiser,
I discovered the world would not change,
so I shortened my sights somewhat
and decided to change only my country.

But it, too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years,
in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family,
those closest to me,
but alas, they would have none of it.

And now as I lie on my deathbed,
I suddenly realise: If I had only changed my self first,
then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and,
who knows, I may have even
changed the world.


Anonymous (written on tomb of an Anglican Bishop in the Crypts of Westminister Abbey)

No comments: